Thursday, March 22, 2012

bug?: two shared data sources, one update effects the other

Is this a bug? I have two shared data sources (one points to a production
server, the other points to a development server). One is named MyDB.rdl, the
other is named MyDBDev.rdl. Both of these are SQL Server data sources, and
they use a specific username and password.
I'm using Visual Studio 2003 as my development environment.
Here's the bug. If I change the username or password for one of the data
sources, it updates the other data sources as well. If I change the username
on the MyDB.rdl datasource from Fred to Jill, the MyDBDev.rdl datasource is
changed as well!!
Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a workaround?
Thanks,
MarcShared data source file would have extention .rds
Could you please provide more details?
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"mhf" <mhf@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2CABBB0A-9C90-48F5-A94B-9A1E1A0DE9E7@.microsoft.com...
> Is this a bug? I have two shared data sources (one points to a production
> server, the other points to a development server). One is named MyDB.rdl,
> the
> other is named MyDBDev.rdl. Both of these are SQL Server data sources, and
> they use a specific username and password.
> I'm using Visual Studio 2003 as my development environment.
> Here's the bug. If I change the username or password for one of the data
> sources, it updates the other data sources as well. If I change the
> username
> on the MyDB.rdl datasource from Fred to Jill, the MyDBDev.rdl datasource
> is
> changed as well!!
> Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a workaround?
> Thanks,
> Marc|||Lev,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I mistyped there, I meant to day .rds files. The
two shared data source files have an extension of .rds and when I change one
(in Visual Studio) it modifies both of them. The SQL login name and passwords
are not stored in the .rds file, so I don't see the actual change persisted
there. I'm not sure where the changes are actually stored.
"Lev Semenets [MSFT]" wrote:
> Shared data source file would have extention .rds
> Could you please provide more details?
> --
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "mhf" <mhf@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2CABBB0A-9C90-48F5-A94B-9A1E1A0DE9E7@.microsoft.com...
> > Is this a bug? I have two shared data sources (one points to a production
> > server, the other points to a development server). One is named MyDB.rdl,
> > the
> > other is named MyDBDev.rdl. Both of these are SQL Server data sources, and
> > they use a specific username and password.
> >
> > I'm using Visual Studio 2003 as my development environment.
> >
> > Here's the bug. If I change the username or password for one of the data
> > sources, it updates the other data sources as well. If I change the
> > username
> > on the MyDB.rdl datasource from Fred to Jill, the MyDBDev.rdl datasource
> > is
> > changed as well!!
> >
> > Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a workaround?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marc
>
>|||Would you email those .rds files to me?
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"mhf" <mhf@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:530A9866-1EEC-4CAB-B44A-CD199B3BBD10@.microsoft.com...
> Lev,
> Thanks for the reply. Yes, I mistyped there, I meant to day .rds files.
> The
> two shared data source files have an extension of .rds and when I change
> one
> (in Visual Studio) it modifies both of them. The SQL login name and
> passwords
> are not stored in the .rds file, so I don't see the actual change
> persisted
> there. I'm not sure where the changes are actually stored.
>
> "Lev Semenets [MSFT]" wrote:
>> Shared data source file would have extention .rds
>> Could you please provide more details?
>> --
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>>
>> "mhf" <mhf@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2CABBB0A-9C90-48F5-A94B-9A1E1A0DE9E7@.microsoft.com...
>> > Is this a bug? I have two shared data sources (one points to a
>> > production
>> > server, the other points to a development server). One is named
>> > MyDB.rdl,
>> > the
>> > other is named MyDBDev.rdl. Both of these are SQL Server data sources,
>> > and
>> > they use a specific username and password.
>> >
>> > I'm using Visual Studio 2003 as my development environment.
>> >
>> > Here's the bug. If I change the username or password for one of the
>> > data
>> > sources, it updates the other data sources as well. If I change the
>> > username
>> > on the MyDB.rdl datasource from Fred to Jill, the MyDBDev.rdl
>> > datasource
>> > is
>> > changed as well!!
>> >
>> > Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a
>> > workaround?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Marc
>>

No comments:

Post a Comment