Tuesday, March 20, 2012

BUG? Extracting Data Stored in Multiple Languages

Hi,

I have an access database that is storing text in english and chinese characters. I am importing the data using SSIS and it is putting a 'square' character in place of all the chinese characters. Can I associate multiple code pages to a control? If this is not possible, I would just like to Extract the data and Load it into a table, and i will just handle the errors and write the key fields to an error log. The problem is that the error handler is not redirecting the row. It just simply fails. I have changed all the error actions to Redirect Row too. I currently have a script checking if the 'square' character exists but i feel this should be handled a better way? Has anyone run into this issue or have any suggestions?

This is the error code i get

Data conversion failed. The data conversion for column "FDCDOPS0" returned status value 4 and status text "Text was truncated or one or more characters had no match in the target code page.".

Access stores string data as Unicode. Is it possible to keep it that way? Where do you transfer data to? If you are moving it to SQL Server tables, is it possible to use Unicode string types (nchar/nvarchar), and avoid conversions?

Thanks.

|||

I am storing the field in question as nvarchar(256). I'm transferring data to a SQL Server 2005 database. I still have had no luck in solving the issue. Unicode is the answer i think. I am using a Data Source and Data Source View in SSIS. When I view the data in the data view the conversion has already taken place. Is there a way to set the field types in the data source or view?

Thanks

|||

It is not quite clear to me what you are doing. Could you explain what components you are using in your package or even better attach a simplified version of it.

Thanks.

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment