Saturday, February 25, 2012

Buffer Latch error

I have been having the following time out error message on
my production server for a while now.
Waiting for type 0x4, current count 0xa, current owning EC
0x5E0B63C8.
Time out occurred while waiting for buffer latch type 4,bp
0x1473080, page 1:23), stat 0xb, object ID 7:3:0, EC
0x6ACBB9E0 : 0, waittime 600. Continuing to wait.
The is an sms server that runs SQL2000 sp3 on Windows 2000
sp4. The microsoft suggestion is to apply sp3 - which I
already did when the server was built. Has anyone come
accross this problem and if so, how did you fix? Is
reapplying service pack a good thing to do? Thanks:I've seen this.
MS will probably disagree. But personally I feel that this is a horribly
handled error and perhaps a bug. You don't provide the specific error number
but assuming it's the same thing I've seen on numerous occaisions...
this error often points to a) a server with inadequte IO capacity and/or b)
queries that are inneffecient for one reason or another that are
exacerrbating the IO issue.
Now... I'll accept that a hardware platform and/or query might be slow...
but I do NOT like the fact that the query simply times out. I'd rather let
it run and have warning messages written to the log that indicate a problem
is happening on this spid. Just my two cents...
but anyway... you should probably be looking at IO issues at the server and
query level.
Of course it could be something completely different. There's not enough
info in your mail to know for sure...
--
Brian Moran
Principal Mentor
Solid Quality Learning
SQL Server MVP
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com
"June Spearman" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0b2a01c3db7c$f0f4d270$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
> I have been having the following time out error message on
> my production server for a while now.
> Waiting for type 0x4, current count 0xa, current owning EC
> 0x5E0B63C8.
> Time out occurred while waiting for buffer latch type 4,bp
> 0x1473080, page 1:23), stat 0xb, object ID 7:3:0, EC
> 0x6ACBB9E0 : 0, waittime 600. Continuing to wait.
>
> The is an sms server that runs SQL2000 sp3 on Windows 2000
> sp4. The microsoft suggestion is to apply sp3 - which I
> already did when the server was built. Has anyone come
> accross this problem and if so, how did you fix? Is
> reapplying service pack a good thing to do? Thanks:
>
>|||The server runs SMS and every so often during the day it
would run querries to find out what new computers are out
there. The application and server don't seem to have any
problem except for the fact that it generates this error
message. The timeout occurs sometimes during a backup and
that causes the job to fail. What more information can I
give you? How can an IO problem be resolved or how can we
determine if it is a query, memory or hardware?
June
>--Original Message--
>I've seen this.
>MS will probably disagree. But personally I feel that
this is a horribly
>handled error and perhaps a bug. You don't provide the
specific error number
>but assuming it's the same thing I've seen on numerous
occaisions...
>this error often points to a) a server with inadequte IO
capacity and/or b)
>queries that are inneffecient for one reason or another
that are
>exacerrbating the IO issue.
>Now... I'll accept that a hardware platform and/or query
might be slow...
>but I do NOT like the fact that the query simply times
out. I'd rather let
>it run and have warning messages written to the log that
indicate a problem
>is happening on this spid. Just my two cents...
>but anyway... you should probably be looking at IO issues
at the server and
>query level.
>Of course it could be something completely different.
There's not enough
>info in your mail to know for sure...
>--
>Brian Moran
>Principal Mentor
>Solid Quality Learning
>SQL Server MVP
>http://www.solidqualitylearning.com
>
>"June Spearman" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
>news:0b2a01c3db7c$f0f4d270$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
>> I have been having the following time out error message
on
>> my production server for a while now.
>> Waiting for type 0x4, current count 0xa, current owning
EC
>> 0x5E0B63C8.
>> Time out occurred while waiting for buffer latch type
4,bp
>> 0x1473080, page 1:23), stat 0xb, object ID 7:3:0, EC
>> 0x6ACBB9E0 : 0, waittime 600. Continuing to wait.
>>
>> The is an sms server that runs SQL2000 sp3 on Windows
2000
>> sp4. The microsoft suggestion is to apply sp3 - which I
>> already did when the server was built. Has anyone come
>> accross this problem and if so, how did you fix? Is
>> reapplying service pack a good thing to do? Thanks:
>>
>
>.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment