Friday, February 24, 2012

browsing for server

I have placed a Windows 2003 server, running SQL Server 2000 on a DMZ that i
s
on my internal network. I understand that as a Windows system starts, it
advertises its services through Service Advertising Protocol, which allows
client computers to browse and select servers of a particular type (in my
case a SQL Server). Is this just a broadcast, or is it registering
somewhere, like with active directory or a master browser? What firewall
rule needs to exist (what port or ports do I need to allow) to enable that
server to advertise that it has SQL Server to clients on another network
connected to the firewall?
Thanks,
JHi Badazizi,
1. SQL Server is using port 1433 as default. If it is purposely changed then
you can check which port it is using through Server Network Utility under SQ
L
Program Groups
2. If you want to publish this SQL instance in Active Directory the you have
to do the same through enterprise manage then properties and then active
directory add.
If u need further clarification let me know
Regards,
Rajesh Kumar
"badazizi" wrote:

> I have placed a Windows 2003 server, running SQL Server 2000 on a DMZ that
is
> on my internal network. I understand that as a Windows system starts, it
> advertises its services through Service Advertising Protocol, which allows
> client computers to browse and select servers of a particular type (in my
> case a SQL Server). Is this just a broadcast, or is it registering
> somewhere, like with active directory or a master browser? What firewall
> rule needs to exist (what port or ports do I need to allow) to enable tha
t
> server to advertise that it has SQL Server to clients on another network
> connected to the firewall?
> Thanks,
> J

No comments:

Post a Comment